Cosmetic teeth whitening is a procedure based on the application of a special gel and the use of special lamps in order to cleanse the enamel from various impurities, that is, to lighten the teeth in order to give them a more beautiful and attractive appearance.
There are two methods of bleaching:
So, the first type of whitening involves visiting a doctor who will carry out this procedure. It should be noted that professional whitening is the best way that allows you to change the color of teeth in several shades (10 – 12), due to the fact that the doctor uses high-quality materials and professional devices that allow for a more intense and serious effect on the tooth enamel. And of course, a skilled worker will perform this procedure with minimal repercussions or damage. The only drawback of this whitening is the rather high price.
Home cosmetic teeth whitening. In this case, a person can independently carry out the enamel lightening procedure using gels, whitening strips, mouth guards, etc.
The main advantage remains the price and the ability to carry out the procedure at any free, convenient time.
This method provides lightening by 4-8 tones, in contrast to the professional one, and does not guarantee safety and high-quality performance, respectively. That is, this method may be ineffective or ineffective, and even dangerous.
1. Chemical bleaching – a method in which special preparations are used, that is, during this process a chemical reaction takes place, using a gel, where carbamide or hydrogen peroxide (40%) is present as a clarifier, and recently a safer compound, sodium perborate, has been used.
Before starting the entire procedure, the doctor brushes the teeth with a special paste. The mucous membrane is isolated with a special protective compound. A lightening lamp is responsible for activating the reaction, or thermal or laser irradiation is used for a faster effect.
The duration of the process varies from 20 to 30 minutes. Then the gel is removed, in order to achieve the best result, you can perform this procedure again. The very effect of chemical whitening can last for about 4 years, when the enamel is brightened by 5-10 tones. The main thing is for the effect to last better, to take care of your teeth. It is necessary to carry out several sessions of chemical bleaching.
At home, it is possible to use a mouth guard, with the help of which, the teeth become whiter one or two tones.
There are contraindications for whom chemical whitening should not be performed:
Children and minors
People with allergies
If there are crowns, poor-quality fillings
average cost – 10.000 – 20.000 thousand rubles
The result of this whitening depends on the natural color of the tooth enamel, if it is yellow, brown, then the enamel will turn white, and if it is gray, then the expected effect will not be achieved, this applies to all types of whitening, except for end-bleaching.
2. Photobleaching – this method is based on the application of a special gel and the use of special light (LED lamps, halogen, ultraviolet), which activates the reaction, changing the shade of the tooth.
The exposure lasts approximately ten to twenty minutes. This method is the most effective – about 12 tones.
This procedure is carried out in three stages, and each time the gel is applied again, the next stage is the bleaching of boxes and fillings, because they are not sensitive to bleaching, and the doctor already deals with them with the help of hand tools. In general, good results can be achieved in one to two hours.
A small disadvantage is the fact that photobleaching can increase the sensitivity of the teeth, but again, this is easily remedied in the doctor’s office.
Three types of lamps can be used in the process:
Beyond Polus (halogen lamps)
Luma Cool (LED bulbs)
Zoom (ultraviolet lamps)
The durability of this method is no longer the same as that of chemical bleaching – about three years
average cost – 10.000 – 30.000 thousand rubles
As a result, dirty areas can interfere with whitening and the effect will be uneven.
3. Ultrasonic whitening – a method that requires the execution of a procedure by qualified doctors, special technologies (ultrasound), an electric current is supplied to the equipment itself, not exceeding the minimum permissible level. In other words, these actions cause mechanical vibrations, and generating ultrasound that will affect the enamel of the tooth through the tip of the clinical equipment, a water jet is added to this process. That allows you to easily and painlessly remove plaque, calculus on tooth enamel. To avoid pain, you need to use local anesthesia
In addition to these devices, the doctor uses standard hand tools. After the entire procedure, the teeth are covered with a special paste (unlike other methods where the gel is applied at the beginning of the procedure). Sometimes inflammation of the gums can occur, but this is normal after ultrasound exposure, special ointments can help to relieve some pain or swelling.
Ultrasonic whitening is considered the most popular and most gentle method of teeth whitening, which allows you to remove various dental deposits, tartar, which spoils the appearance of teeth, and as a result, the enamel color acquires a beautiful, natural shade. Whitening itself occurs 3 shades lighter. It can also be called oral hygiene. This procedure is done every six months to maintain a beautiful shade.
Ultrasonic whitening is more about dental health than a whitening procedure. But this whitening can serve as a good preparatory stage before the rest of the whitening types.
The price starts from 4 500 rubles
There are contraindications for whom ultrasonic whitening should not be performed:
People with arrhythmias
People with allergies
People with implants
4. Laser whitening – type of whitening performed by professionals in the clinic, during the procedure on the front of the teeth, the doctor uses a laser to apply a whitening gel to each tooth, activating the oxidation processes (the gel contains a minimum amount of hydrogen peroxide). In this case, the impact on each tooth cannot be more than 2 minutes.
Before the procedure, you need to brush your teeth, and the procedure itself is carried out within half an hour. If the result remains unsatisfactory, after a certain period of time, more procedures can be performed.
Lightening occurs in seven to twelve tones, thanks to the laser beam. However, uneven teeth enamel whitening is possible.
This type of whitening is considered safe, it excludes the possibility of damage to the enamel or gums, and increased sensitivity of the teeth.
The effect of laser whitening – from eight to ten years, in comparison with other methods, is considered the most effective if you do not eat foods with dyes, do not smoke and watch your teeth.
The cost – 15,000 – 35,000 rubles
There are contraindications for whom laser whitening should not be performed:
Patient with caries
For various inflammations of the oral cavity
Children and minors
5. Endo whitening (intrachannel teeth whitening) Is a modern way of teeth whitening, in which the gel brightens the canals and crowns from the inside. That is, a special whitening gel is placed inside the tooth and eliminates the cause of the darkening of the teeth, but before this simple procedure, the doctor must find the reasons for the darkening of the tooth, plus the doctor can take an X-ray examination for an accurate analysis. Further, before the entire procedural cavity, the mouth must be rinsed with a special solution.
Darkening can be caused due to internal inflammation of the tissues due to dental diseases such as pulpitis, periodontitis (the network of tooth nerve death). Next, the doctor removes unusable fillings, removes dead and damaged tooth tissues, cleans the canals and isolates. After that, the gel is applied and temporary fillings are placed.
After 2 weeks, it is necessary to undergo the procedures again, if the desired result is not obtained, then in this case the following procedures are carried out after 1 – 2 years.
This procedure is painless.
The duration of the process varies from 20 to 30 minutes.
There are contraindications for whom Endo Whitening should not be performed:
Children and minors
People who have thyroid disease or diabetes
People with tooth decay and cracked teeth
The cost – from 3.000 to 20.000 rubles
1. Chemical bleaching
Pros: allows you to whiten the enamel deeply and effectively
Cons: Using hydrogen peroxide in high percentages
Pros: suitable for sensitive teeth, cracked and chipped, poor-quality fillings
Cons: the effect of porcelain teeth appears, that is, too bright a white tint, can cause sensitivity of the teeth from strong tissue heating
3. Ultrasonic whitening
Pros: Can handle very tough dental deposits.
Cons: is a dental health improvement, not a whitening procedure
4. Laser whitening
Pros: is the most modern and safest way for enamel, it is considered an effective and fast way
Cons: rather high cost, requires high-quality preparation of the oral cavity for the procedure, tooth hypersensitivity can be caused
5. Endo whitening (intrachannel teeth whitening)
Pros: Eliminates the causes of darkening of teeth
Cons: lightening with just a couple of shades
Photo from Pixabay.com